Microsoft isn’t just writing a new Agile project template for TFS, their also using it internally. In this video from Adam Cogan at SSW, watch as the Microsoft TFS Agile team use the new Agile template that they are working on to manage their own scrum. You’ll also see some important tips for running your own scrums and how the Microsoft team uses those tips (or doesn’t) to ensure an efficient meeting.
Adam’s video covers some valuable tips for managing an efficient scrum including the following:
- Have your Scrum Master review the Sprint Progress at the end
- Keep a schedule of the Daily Scrum times on a wall + have a recurring appointment in Outlook
- Keep to the schedule. Same place, same time (and start even if people are missing)
- Update tasks before the Daily Scrum.
- Don’t go into detail.
- No phone + no checking email. No distractions.
- Use a task board (even better use an electronic one).
You can find more Scrum tips at http://tv.ssw.com/DailyScrum. If you’d like to learn more about how other professional developers use the Scrum model, this video is a great example. And if you’d like to learn more about the Scrum process take a look at SSW’s War Room Scrum Diagrams.