2013 New Year’s Resolutions: Apps to Keep You In LineBy Mike Lata
As 2013 approaches, it’s time to think of your New Year’s resolutions. Common resolutions range from quitting smoking, to getting in shape, or to learning a new craft. No matter what you vow to work on in the new year, you’re not alone. There are apps to help you! The following iOS and Android apps may be just the push you need to keep you honest and on track.
Apps for Quitting Smoking
- Quitter (iOS): A free app on the App Store, it will show you how long it was since you last smoked and track your habit. You can enter units of cigarettes consumed in a day and calculate the costs.
- My Last Cigarette (iOS): Currently $.99 on the App Store, this app also shows you cost savings, although it may not be as thorough, and shows you the various health risks associated with smoking.
- Quit Smoking (Android): A free app on Google Play, it calculates usage and stress levels that often coincide with smoking. It also shows you techniques on quitting gradually.
- Quit Smoking Hypnosis (Android): This app costs $1.99 on Google Play and is designed to eliminate the desire to smoke by hypnotizing.
Apps for Quitting Drinking
- Stop Drinking with Andrew Johnson (iOS): This app costs $2.99 on the App Store and is designed to help you overcome the emotional and physical alcohol cravings.
- iCan Stop Drinking (iOS): This app, $3.99 on the App Store, helps people who have a dependency on alcohol or who are already alcoholics. The app functions as a digital hypnotherapy to help you quit.
- Quit Drinking (Android): This is a free app on Google Play that allows you to calculate many factors associated with drinking such as saving money.
- Quit Drinking — Andrew Johnson (Android): The app costs $2.99 on Google Live and is the Android version of the iOS app listed as first above.
Apps for Getting in Shape
- Workout Trainer (iOS): This is a free app in the App Store that shows you various exercises and explains ways to achieve a great workout. It comes with instructional photos, video and audio.
- Get in Shape (iOS): This is another free app that offers a diet and workout plan (day-to-day) among many other features.
- Fitness Buddy: 1700 Exercises (Android): This app is available on Google Live for $.99 currently (it’s on sale). It comes with a wide range of exercises for you to try out and serves as a digital personal trainer.
- Complete Gym Exercise Guide (Android): This is a free app on Google Live with over 110 exercises are features within this app. It also has dedicated exercises for 10 separate body parts.
Apps for Travel
- Lonely Planet Travel Guides, Phrasebooks and Maps (iOS): This app is available for free on the App Store. From within this app you can choose separate guides for different countries in the world. You will have to purchase these guides as in app purchases for around $1.99 each. There are many countries and places of interest to choose from.
- PocketGuide (iOS): Like Lonely Planet, you will also have to purchase different guides as IAPs from within the app depending on your destination. This app seems to be very multimedia focused.
- World Explorer (Android): This is a free app on Google Play that is not designed for future planning, but for giving you tips on the best places to visit depending on your location. It uses GPS tracking.
- World Travel Guide (Android): Unlike the iOS offerings, this free app on Google Play, it has a list of travel destinations that you can download from within the app for free.
Apps for Learning a New Sport or Hobby
- TaekwonDo Kicks (iOS): This is a free app that gives you kicking tips for Tae Kwon Do, which is known to be one of the premier kicking styles among all martial arts.
- All-in YOGA (iOS): With this app, available for $.99 on the App Store, you can learn various Yoga stands and poses.
- Daily Yoga (Android): This app is available for free on Google Play and also provides you with a great set of tools to begin your Yoga journey.
- Basketball Tips (Android): This free app on Google Play will provide you tools on sharpening your shot and aiming at the hoop correctly so you can stay competitive at basketball.
This is just a sampling of the many great apps available on Google Play and the Apple App Store that will lend a hand in helping you fulfill your New Year’s resolution plans. Whether you download one or go at it alone, we wish you luck!
About the Author
Mike Lata is a technology enthusiast and freelance writer who has graduated from California State University, Chico in spring '10 with a BA in news-ed journalism/minor in economics. He has been focusing his writing on technology and computing advancements. This includes mobile applications, 3D tech, augmented reality, computing devices such as tablets, and software news for both PC and Mac operating systems. Most of his focus until recently has been on the consumer sector rather than IT professionals and enterprise. Mike recently started writing for AppleMagazine, and has been involved with writing about 3D technology for 3DTV.com. He also sometimes contributes to mobile application sites, such as Appmodo.com, and does other client-based assignments. Mike was originally born in Poland and came to the U.S. when he was 9 years old. He has lived in California ever since.
Author's Website: http://mlata26.wordpress.com/