Free Server Core Training: Setup and Utilize Remote Administration on Server CoreBy Ed Liberman
Remote Administration is a neat tool that allows you to manage your Server Core roles and features from a different computer, and there are several advantages to using it.
Remember, Server Core doesn’t have a graphical interface so you’re very limited in what you can and can’t do. So even though you can install roles and features directly on your Server Core and even do some basic configuration, Server Core can be very difficult to manage without Remote Administration.
By utilizing Remote Administration and a full install of Server 2008 on another computer you can manage your Server Core easily and successfully.
Remote Desktop and MMC
There are two areas of Remote Administration that we’re going to discuss today: Remote Desktop and MMC (Microsoft Management Console).
First I’m going to show you how to enable Remote Administration on your Server Core, also touching on Network Level Authentication and RSAT. Using DHCP as an example I’ll show you how to utilize both the Remote Desktop and MMC to administrate the DHCP server role.
Other Videos in this Series
- How to activate a newly installed Server Core edition of Server 2008
- How to assign a Computer Name to a Server Core and join it to a Domain
- Lesson 3: Install Roles & Features on Server 2008 Server Core
- How to setup and utilize Remote Administration on Server 2008 Server Core
- How to setup and utilize RODC on Server 2008 Server Core
Read more on how Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Training offers career-minded practice with server administation, read-only domain controllers, server core, virtualization and more.
About the Author
Ed Liberman (MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, A+, Network+, Server+, CWTS, CWNA, CWNT) has worked in technology for 20 years. He has been certified and instructing IT since 1998. He has helped thousands of people to get started or advance their careers in the IT industry. When he is not in the classroom, he is out helping corporations with their network infrastructure as an independent consultant. Ed will get you ready to pass your exams while you develop the skills needed to succeed in the "real world". His teaching style encourages you to have fun while you learn. Ed also volunteers his time in his local community as a math tutor for struggling grade school children.
- Server 2008: How to Setup a Remote Desktop on Windows Vista
- Installing RSAT: Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista
- Remote Administration of IIS 7: Isolate and Delegate
- Remote Administration of IIS 7: Install, Configure, Connect
- Less is More — Windows 2008 Server Core
- GUI Schmooey –- Installing Windows 2008 Server Core
- Role Playing with Windows 2008 Server Core
- Server Core Install vs. Full Install – Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!
- Windows DNS Server 2008: Setup External Internet DNS Server
- Free Intro to Windows Server 2008 Training