Free Server 2008 Training: Windows Server Core and DHCP Servers in Server 2008By Ben Culbertson
So what is Server Core? Well it’s basically a stripped down version of Server 2008 and there are a lot of neat things about it. Today we’ll focus on Server Core and the DHCP role and I’ll demonstrate the installation, configuration and setup steps.
Here’s what this video covers:
- Server Core – we’ll talk about what Server Core is, how to best utilize it and what the pros and cons of using the core are. I’ll also go over the Server Core roles and when they come in handy.
- Server Core install and core commands — next we’ll look at the installation and the Core commands that you need to know for things like getting system information, renaming the machine, or joining a domain. I’ll also demonstrate how to use the command line here.
- DHCP Role installation — now we move on to installing the DHCP role and the critical commands that you need to know to perform the install, configuration and starting the DHCP service
- Setting up the Firewall — we’ll do this so that we can perform remote administration using MMC on our Server Core
- Installing RSAT — in setting up the Firewall, you may need to install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) to include the MMC Snap-in for a particular role, so I’ll show you how to do that
- Creating an MMC — since not everybody thinks the command line is cool, we’ll use the MMC to connect to our DHCP server
Take your database administration or development career to the next level with our lineup of SQL Server 2008 Training.
Other Videos in this Series:
- Videos 1: Welcome to Windows Server 2008 Essentials
- Video 2: How to Install Server 2008 and Active Directory
- Video 3: Active Directory Users and Groups in Server 2008
- Video 4: Windows Server Core and DHCP Servers in Server 2008
- Video 5: Windows Server 2008 File and Print Servers
- Video 6: Server 2008 RODC – Read Only Domain Controllers
- Video 7: IIS 7 Web Servers
- Video 8: Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services
- Video 9: WDS – Windows Deployment Services
- Video 10: MCITP Certifications: Exam requirements and upgrade paths
About the Author
Ben Culbertson (MCT, MCSA, MCDBA, CIW, A+, Net+, MOS) has taught thousands of people in the Chicagoland area, and brings ten years of training, web, print, and network consulting experience to the table. Serving a two year tour of duty as an inner city high school teacher, he motivated at-risk students to achieve excellence and learned how to teach high level concepts in a rubber-meets-the-road fashion. He is also the Technical Editor and webmaster of ReliefJournal.com, a quarterly literary journal, and the Editor-In-Chief for Coach’s Midnight Diner, an annual genre anthology.
- Configure DHCP on Windows Server 2008
- Less is More — Windows 2008 Server Core
- Install DHCP Role on Windows Server 2008
- Free Intro to Windows Server 2008 Training
- GUI Schmooey –- Installing Windows 2008 Server Core
- Role Playing with Windows 2008 Server Core
- New Training Release: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Training
- SBS 2008 vs Windows Server 2008: Adding Users and Computers
- How to Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 from Windows Server 2003
- Windows DNS Server 2008: Setup External Internet DNS Server