VMworld 2013 parties you cannot missBy Phoummala Schmitt
It feels like summer just started but August is fast approaching, so what does that mean for IT professionals around the world? It means VMworld 2013 is almost here! This year VMworld 2013 will be held on August 25-29 in San Francisco, California at the Moscone Center.
This year’s conference has over 360 breakout sessions and hands-on labs that are sure to keep you busy during the conference hours. But everybody knows tech conferences like VMworld are more than sessions and labs. They’re also about the after-parties and social gatherings. These gatherings are your opportunity to meet new and old friends, discuss technology and exchange ideas.
To get a head start in planning your week of fun, I’ve compiled a list of some of the top events to look out for. There is an assortment of activities going on all week, ranging from sporting events to chilling out at a cigar club.
- v0dgeball Charity Tournament: The fourth-annual #v0dgeball Charity Tournament takes place on Sunday, August 25 between 3-5 p.m. at SOMA Rec Center at the Corner of Folsom and 6th Streets. http://tweetvite.com/event/v0dgeball2013
- Fun Run: Join fellow attendees for a 5k run/walk taking in the sights of the San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz prison and historic Fort Point on Sunday, August 25 at 8:30 a.m. at Crissy Field.
- VMworld Hall Crawl: The annual Hall Crawl is open to all attendees, so come on out to the Solutions Exchange to enjoy a refreshing beverage while you check out the latest products and services from over 250 exhibitors. If you make it to the Hall Crawl, stop over to the Micron booth (1635) and say hi to me!
- VMunderground Party: This is one of the hottest events at VMworld. Annual Warm-Up-as-a-Service (WuPaaS) party for VMworld takes place on Sunday, August 25, from 8-11 p.m. The party kicks off the week at Terra Gallery. More details to come at #VMunderground.
- CXIparty: This is another exclusive party to attend. It’s hosted by @CXI and sponsored by @InfinioSystems. It’s set for Monday, August 26 at 9 p.m. at Naan and Curry. Tickets are required and will be released in batches. Visit http://cxiparty3-es2.eventbrite.com/ for more info.
- vBacon: Bacon makes everything better, right? Bacon at VMworld—what else could be better! Join @CiscoDC Tuesday, August 27 from 10 p.m.-12 a.m. for drinks, bacon and good times. More details pending.
- vStogies 2013: If you like VMware and cigars, then this is the place to be during VMworld to chill out and enjoy a fine stogie. This is a non-sponsored event held on Wednesday, August 28 from 11-1 a.m. at the Occidental Cigar Club.
- VMworld Party: This year’s party will take place on Wednesday, August 28, 7:30-10:30 p.m. at AT&T Park (home of the Giants MLB team). It’s sure to be a hit. You even have a chance to guess this year’s band for an opportunity to meet the band before the party. See the contest rules for more details.
- UNParty2013 – DEFY (the) Convention (party): A massive party at a ballpark isn’t for everyone. For people who prefer something a little more low-key, consider the UNParty. This BYODM (DM = drink moolah) takes place at Irish pub The Chieftan from 8:30-11 p.m. The $4 RSVP fee goes to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Tickets won’t go on sale until after VMworld Party’s headlining band is announced.
Keep in mind as we get closer to the conference that more events will become available. Vendors often hold private events for customers only, so be sure to check with vendor reps to see if there is anything special going on. Check out the official VMworld Gatherings page to stay up to date on the latest parties and events.
If you are having an event and want to get the word out, you can also make a submission there as well. The value of these conferences is in making the connections and contacts to build your network. Business cards are like currency, so bring plenty!
Are you going to VMworld? Come find us! As you may have heard, TrainSignal has recently joined forces with Pluralsight. Stop by the Pluralsight booth at VMworld to snag fun swag, say hello, and hear about how Pluralsight is now the destination for your IT and dev training needs! If you’re looking for a place to eat or drink near the convention center, see our VMworld 2013 restaurants and bars guide.
About the Author
Phoummala Schmitt is an IT professional with a broad range of experiences that include Microsoft software, VMware and Storage providers such as Netapp. She currently resides in Harrisburg, PA where she is employed by Harsco Corporation as a systems engineer for its Global Infrastructure Operations team. In her present position, she is responsible for Harsco's messaging and communication systems, as well as supporting the storage and backup operations that support employees in over 50 different countries. Phoummala holds several certifications, including an MSCA and MCTS. She has held various jobs in the IT industry that include consulting to a network analyst in the healthcare industry. Some of her favorite technologies are Exchange server, mobile devices and virtualization.