Free Server 2008 Training: Windows Server 2008 RODC – Read Only Domain ControllersBy Ben Culbertson
What is an RODC? When do you use it? How do you use it?
These are just some of things we’re going to be covering today. I will also explain the requirements for an RODC and walk you through the steps to deploy RODC on your server.
Here’s what’s covered in today’s video:
- What is an RODC — RODC allows users to authenticate against a read only copy of the Active Directory in a remote location; I’ll explain in detail when it is best to use RODC
- Advantages of RODC — I’ll also go over the main advantages of using RODC, whether you can use it with Server Core and what you can do to increase protection
- Deploying RODC — next we’ll go over what you need to install RODC and all the steps involved in doing a full installation
- RODC Role Installation — using our Verde Petra scenario we will go ahead and install the RODC role on our server so you can see all the steps in action
- Password Replication Policy — you get to decide who gets to log in to the RODC and who does not so here I’ll show you how to specify the Password Replication Policy
- Pre-Populating a Password — next we’re going to pre-populate our RODC with a password from one of the employees from our scenario
Other Videos in this Series:
- Videos 1: Welcome to Windows Server 2008 Essentials
- Video 2: How to Install Server 2008 and Active Directory
- Video 3: Active Directory Users and Groups in Server 2008
- Video 4: Windows Server Core and DHCP Servers in Server 2008
- Video 5: Windows Server 2008 File and Print Servers
- Video 6: Server 2008 RODC – Read Only Domain Controllers
- Video 7: IIS 7 Web Servers
- Video 8: Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services
- Video 9: WDS – Windows Deployment Services
- Video 10: MCITP Certifications: Exam requirements and upgrade paths
Read more on how Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Training offers career-minded practice with server administation, read-only domain controllers, server core, virtualization and more.
About the Author
Ben Culbertson (MCT, MCSA, MCDBA, CIW, A+, Net+, MOS) has taught thousands of people in the Chicagoland area, and brings ten years of training, web, print, and network consulting experience to the table. Serving a two year tour of duty as an inner city high school teacher, he motivated at-risk students to achieve excellence and learned how to teach high level concepts in a rubber-meets-the-road fashion. He is also the Technical Editor and webmaster of ReliefJournal.com, a quarterly literary journal, and the Editor-In-Chief for Coach’s Midnight Diner, an annual genre anthology.