Virtualization Forum 2009 Plus Your Chance to Win $5,000 in VMware’s Video ContestBy Kasia Lorenc
On Tuesday I got a chance to go to the Virtualization Forum 2009 here in Chicago. It was an all day event hosted by VMware that focused on how virtualizatin technologies are being utilized by IT professionals.
The sessions included case studies, information on virtualization management, desktop management, cloud computing, and various virtualization solutions.
This was the first virtualization event I went to and I enjoyed the learning experience. Virtualization has so much potential it is really worth exploring, and VMware clearly has the lead in the industry and knows its stuff.
That said, I was really surprised by how many defensive statements were being made in the presentations by VMware reps. One presentation was particularly disappointing; it was the last session of the day on How to Choose a Virtualization Solution: A Checklist of Core Requirements. The gist of the presentation is that VMware is far more superior (not to mention cheaper and easier to use) than Hyper-V.
Now I’m not arguing that VMware isn’t the better solution, but I didn’t feel that the presentation was objective; and it didn’t focus on what the title and description said it would focus on. Instead the VMware rep was hung up on pointing out the shortcomings on Hyper-V.
Besides the cheap shots aimed at Microsoft and Hyper-V, the event was interesting, educational and well worth it. I especially enjoyed the cloud computing session that discussed internal and external clouds and how datacenters are engaging with could computing.
I also got a chance to talk to one of the VMware reps about VMware View which allows you to centralize the management of your desktops, including hardware, operating systems, and applications, which I thought was pretty cool.
What did you think about the virtualization forum?
If you didn’t get a chance to attend, you can still take advantage of the free online forum which will take place November 10th and 11th. Here’s more info on the live online virtualization forum 2009.
Create a Video for Your Chance to Win $5,000 & More
While at the Virtualization Forum, I also found out about a cool new contest that VMware has started where you can win $5,000 cash and other great stuff just for creating a video.
Here are the details:
Create a video showing how you were able to save time and money with VMware virtualization solutions and you can win:
- Grand Prize Winner gets: $5,000 cash
- 2 Runner-Ups get: Apple MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion
- 3 Favorites get: iPod nanos with video recorders
- And all qualifying participants get a free t-shirt
Your entry must be submitted by December 2nd, 2009. For more info visit: Time to Save with VMware Video Contest.
About the Author
Kasia Lorenc served as the editor-in-chief of the TrainSignal blog from 2007 - 2012. In addition to covering a variety of topics, including IT certification, training and technology news, Kasia was also responsible for the content strategy and website management at TrainSignal. You can connect with Kasia on Twitter @kasialorenc.
- Two Free Virtualization Events You Can’t Miss
- Last Chance to Win in Train Signal’s 7 Year Anniversary Giveaway
- Server Quest Contest — Win $5,000 For Your Own Game
- Last Chance to Win one of 7 Dell Laptops, Windows 7 and More
- Learn Virtualization and Get Certified Without Spending a Dime
- Hyper-V Certification: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration Exam 70-652
- Hyper-V and VMware — Part 1: Usability
- Video Clip: How to Install SQL Server 2008 on Hyper-V
- More Tech Ed 2009 Pictures
- Meet Our Contest Winners and See How You Can Be Next!